Teacher as Designers: Students as Creators
Framed by the outcomes and values of the four Experiential Learning Pathways, classes and courses at Upper Mississippi Academy incorporate a “teacher as designer approach” to promote student achievement and academic growth as well as to create an optimal environment for interdisciplinary instruction and multi-dimensional learning experiences.
Classes and courses are rigorous, relevant, and relational and, curriculum is built around the elements of experiential learning. Students engage in projects that:
- are interdisciplinary, self-directed and long-term;
- are connected to the local community;
- involve community experts;
- provide an opportunity for experimentation, failure, reflection and improvement;
- ask students to seek, create and/or transform knowledge;
- allow a final product with many potential forms;
- document the learning process; and
- are presented to the community by the creator(s).