UMA Update July 21Sally Spreeman
UMA Students and Families –
As we move closer to the end of July, I wanted to take an opportunity to thank you for all of the greetings and well wishes that have come forward to me as your new Executive Director. It has been an honor to meet students and to hear about their experiences at UMA and within the larger community.
Thanks so much for completing the Family Survey sent earlier in the summer. While we understand that some information and ideas are still shifting, the information you shared was very helpful to know we are on a strong track to meeting the needs of our community.
A few updates to share …
– We are building a variety of frameworks for learning. The action plan for school in the fall will depend on the requirements and recommendations that come from the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE). That information is scheduled to release on July 27, 2020 – we all hope it will be sooner.
– Returning students have been confirmed and new students are enrolling at UMA for the 20-21 school year. Our greatest opportunity to help others learn about UMA is to share our experience with them. We appreciate that our students and families speak highly of UMA and spread the word about our school.
– We have space for more students at all grade levels – inquiry and enrollment forms can be accessed on the website. Keep talking about UMA and sending amazing students to our website.
– All staff positions have been filled. We are excited about our new staff and some changes we were able to make for our returning staff.
– Safety protocols for staff and students are being laid out – final decisions will be made based on information shared by MDH and MDE on July 27, 2020.
– Safety equipment options to protect staff and students are being explored and ordered.
– Health and cleaning protocols to support students and staff in the UMA building are being written and final decisions will be made based on information shared by MDH and MDE on July 27, 2020.
Next steps …
– Finalize our return to school protocols and share those out with the entire UMA community (students, staff, families and UMA Board)
– Survey students and families about their technology needs. We are working toward a more consistent technology available to all students and we are building in support.
– Ask students and families their final preference/decision and requirements for attending school this fall. This will affect our daily operations and student scheduling.
– Take more questions and find more answers for all of the UMA community.
Thanks for your patience and your resilience – UMA is strong and getting stronger.