UMA Update April 4, 2020Sally Spreeman
Dear UMA Families,
We hope this finds you and your family well. As distance learning begins next week on Monday, April 6th, we wanted to share the following:
- Information about UMA’s distance learning plan and scheduling: UMA has posted its distance learning plan and schedule (click here for key elements and FAQ about UMA distance learning and click here for the formal plan). Please note, the schedule begins a bit more structured and will likely morph as needs become clearer. We will review and refine our plan during the course of the first few weeks and will ask for input from families in the form of surveys. Our goals are to provide predictability and structure but to adapt to a changing situation as needed.
- Information about recent issues with Schoology: Some of you may be aware that several school districts experienced technical issues with their online programs this first week back from the school closure. We will work to be prepared and should there be any issues with Schoology, our teachers will directly email messages to the students about how to proceed with lessons. Please have your student check their school email to see if it is working properly. Contact Mr. Aziz (email@example.com) if you are experiencing issues.
- Information about attendance: Please note there have been some questions about attendance. Minnesota law requires students still attend school and that schools track student attendance. UMA will use a procedure in which students check in with their teachers and produce some evidence of work as required by the teacher to denote they took part in the teacher’s class. The evidence of work does not necessarily have to be a finished assignment. A teacher may choose to do a brief questionnaire, survey, email, video chat, or check on a rough draft to denote the student attended and participated in class. Students should follow directions as shared by each individual teacher. The student should submit the work evidence by 4:30 pm (again, this does not necessarily mean a finished product). UMA still needs to be notified if a student is absent due to illness or other excused reason. Please call the attendance line (651-528-8091, opt. 2) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) should your child be unable to attend distance learning classes.
We know this is a challenging time for all and we appreciate your patience, input, and partnership. Check out the Distance Learning page of the school’s website for additional resources and links. Thank you for all of your thoughts and energy as we begin this last quarter of school.
-Arslan & Amy
- UMA Spring Gala has been postponed
- High School Specific Routines around Distance Learning
- OutFront Minnesota Virtual Youth Summit April 5-7 Information