Board of Directors: Call for NominationsDenise Goldman
Directors serving on the Upper Mississippi Academy (UMA) Board are elected by our community; eligible voters are all parents and legal guardians of current UMA students, all current UMA Board members, and all current employees of UMA. Elections will take place on May 23, 2019, at UMA from 9:00 am – 8:30 pm.
The UMA Board is comprised of nine members representing three categories: 1) a licensed teacher currently employed as a teacher by the school, 2) a parent or legal guardian of a student at the school, and 3) a community member not otherwise affiliated with the school. Board terms are three years with one-third of terms expiring each year.
Board service is both challenging and rewarding and an excellent way to give back to your community.
There are three positions up for election for the fiscal year beginning in July 2019: one teacher (3-year term), one parent (3-year term), and one community member (3-year term). If you think you might be interested in serving the school as a board member, please keep reading.
The Board is responsible for critical activities for the school including:
- Financial oversight;
- Developing, setting and reviewing compliance with policies for budgets, curriculum, student achievement, personnel, and operations;
- Overseeing the school’s mission and goals; and
- Evaluation of school directors.
Board members are expected to attend monthly board meetings and to be active on one or more permanent or ad-hoc committees. Board members are also expected to represent the UMA Board at special events from time to time.
Within one year, all new board members are required to complete training on School Governance, Employment Practices and Financial Management. These classes are widely available and can be taken individually or as a group, depending on schedules. Returning members are required to participate in other yearly development opportunities. Board members must also pass a background check.
If you are interested in Board membership, the process is straightforward:
- All candidates are self-nominated. Complete a nomination form (available electronically at Board of Directors Nomination Form 2019 – online, Board of Directors Nomination Form 2019 pdf version or paper copies are available in the school office). Note that there is room for a 100-word personal statement that will appear in the election announcement and on the ballot.
- Turn in the nomination form by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (651-683-2042), mail (426 Osceola Ave, St. Paul, MN 55102), or in person to the office no later than 4:30 pm on Monday, April 30, 2019. The slate of nominees will be announced on the school’s website on Wednesday, May 1, 2019.